I took Elijah for allergy testing today. Good news, he is not allergic to any food. Bad news, he's allergic to pretty much everything else. We will never own a cat. Seriously, the worst cat allergy ever! Also, pretty much everything outside and possibly ibuprofen. That test was inconclusive so we will still be avoiding it.
Bad Bad news. The allergy doc also handles asthma, so she said, while we were there we might as well give him a breathing test. I said sure, after all, I was so sure Elijah was growing out of it. I mean we hadn't had any asthma attacks or coughing fits this winter. The first test came back at 57%. That's right I said 57%! So they gave him 2 breathing treatments in 5 min. and tested him again. This time he got up to 80%. Lovely. So on a good day, at his best, his lungs are functioning 20% below what they should be. That is his starting point!! How in the heck did I not notice this! What kind of distracted mother am I? The Doctor said at this point his body is used to his lungs function at 80% so he has adapted. However, this is not good. It can Affect his lung development. So, now we are starting a more aggressive approach to his asthma, including some household changes. Then we go back in about 2 months and see how he's doing.
Now I am scared for Liam, my other asthmatic. At his 4 year check up I will be talking to his Ped to see if she can give him a breathing test.
6 comments:
so sad! Allergies stink, man.
Well trying to be positive at least you can travel and vacation without having to worry whats in the food! And pooh, who cares about cats, being a fellow allergic to cats person, they aren't fun anyway they can't even catch! So yeah, and you shouldn't feel bad he is a sweet kid he probably didn't say anything so how would you have known about the lung capacity and now you are taking care of it so it will be all good. Don't beat yourself up, you rock as a mom.
That's true Tamara. When he was a baby and had ear infections he never cried. The Doc would look in his ears and say they were terrible and he would be smiling, so I guess he just deals with it.
Darn, those allergies. All of you are amazing for dealing with it. Elijah is in our prayers.
Oh poor Elijah and he is so strong, I know you will get him better. I love him!!
It is so hard as a mom to keep up on everything. I hardly ever took my kids to the Doctor.
Post a Comment