Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lake Argyle

According to Wikipedia, Lake Argyle is the 2nd largest (by volume) artificial lake. It was created as part of the Ord River Irrigation Scheme. But I believe I covered that in a different post.

We were able to go on a river boat tour of Lake Argyle on our 2nd, or maybe 3rd day in Kununurra. It was so beautiful, but I am partial to this type of landscape over more forest like environment.

We learned about how high the water can get during the wet season, which is during their summer. It can get pretty high. They have these white posts that measure where the water is and last wet season the water was almost to the top.


Throughout the shoreline there were these tall skinny brown mounds. The tour guide told us these were created by termites. Termites are a huge problem in this part of Australia. Their electric poles, and houses, and other things are made of metal because of the major termite problem. If you look in the middle of this picture there is a tower shaped lighter brown mound. That is a termite mound.


The lake has around 35,000 fresh water crocodiles (freshies). The tour guide told us freshies do not attack humans unless they are being threatened. For instance, if someone were to jump in the lake and land on a freshie it would fight back. I got some great pictures of crocodiles.

Then, we got to swim in the lake. I can now say I have swam in a lake with 35,000 crocodiles. Wow. It was so great!
We took the sunset tour and saw the most beautiful sunset. It was fabulous. I was very impressed with the pictures I got as well. I love Australia, like I haven't said that before!


No comments: