
Family Legends I mean.
Here is a pictures of my Grandpa on the farm.
Now if I have anything wrong, feel free to let me know.
Kununurra, Western Australia.
It took 2 days to get to Kununurra. We had a 4 hour flight from Sydney that got into Darwin late that night. The next day we took a 45 min. single engine jet from Darwin to Kununurra. Now, I have to say it, Darwin is not my favorite place. It’s probably because we didn't do much there except sleep in a cockroach infested room. Now, if you know me, you know I am freaked out by bugs of any kind, but most specifically cockroaches. They are disgusting! Our night in Darwin on the way back I was sharing a king sized bed with Kristen. A huge, and really it was huge, cockroach fell off the wall onto the pillow. Kristen and I shrieked liked little girls and ran from the room without brushing our teeth. We used a water bottle and spit in the bushes outside. My recommendation if you are ever in Darwin, do NOT stay in the Darwin Airport resort. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, but that does not make up for giant cockroaches stalking you while you sleep.
We did spend the day in downtown Darwin and walked over to the beach, but well, it wasn’t that exciting. Our 2nd trip through Darwin we got some beautiful pictures on the beach that I will share later.
I said earlier that I loved Sydney and could live there, and I really did mean it. I loved the city atmosphere and the pier and the beautiful weather and the people. It was amazing.
But, Kununurra felt like coming home.
There is a tradition in our family to take a picture under the Welcome to Kununurra sign at the Kununurra airport. Unfortunately, for us, the airport is being remodeled and they took down the sign. I am sure this is a great thing for Kununurra and the airport will be awesome when it’s done.
We were disappointed not to get a picture, but absolutely thrilled to be there. I have heard so much about this place and its people, and the farm it was surreal to finally see it. We did get pictures at eh Kununurra sign. So, here's proof we were there!
Kent rented a car and we headed towards our hotel. In Kununurra we were able to stay in an apartment-like building which had 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, and living area. It was the most comfortable place we stayed in Australia. We got there too late to see the farm the first day, but we made it to the grocery store and were able to make a wonderful spaghetti dinner. After eating out so much, home cooked food tasted fabulous.
Now, I haven’t talked about the prices of things yet. Let me tell you, it was a shock. For instance, I am a huge Diet Pepsi addicted. I admit it, and that’s the first step right? Well, I shop sells pretty well and never pay more than 2-3 bucks for a 12 pack. In Australia a 12 pack runs around 13 bucks for 1. That is just 1 example to give you an idea what we were up against. To add insult to injury, the US dollar is weak, so we lost around 20 cents per dollar. Now, before I sound like I am whining, I just wanted to show how grateful we were to be able to prepare our own meals for a few days. Every other meal I have shared with Kristen, and it was great to not eat so much, maybe I should make sharing meals more of a habit.
With jetlag rearing its ugly head, we crashed around 7 pm that night and were ready nice and early the next day to see the farm!
I can’t explain exactly the feeling of actually being there. My entire life I have heard about Australia. I have heard the stories of the tree my Grandpa slept under. How he ate pork and beans and canned peaches, all about his life in the outback of Australia.
It took an hour and a half flight to Phoenix, 1 hour flight to LAX, a 14 hour flight to Sydney, a 4 hour flight to Darwin, and a 45 min. flight to Kununurra. We were finally at the farm. It is family tradition to take jumping pictures at the farm. After all the travelling, we finally made it and we are jumping for joy!The farm is so amazing and beautiful.
I have hit a bit of writer’s block. I think it’s because I was trying to write about Kununurra all in 1 post, but that just isn’t possible. There is so much I want to remember and write down. So, we’ll start here, and I will post more later
.
1 comment:
More please! And I would have been going crazy from all those flights!!!
Post a Comment